Roma are said to be considering legal action after Brazilian winger Malcom was dramatically snatched from right under their noses earlier this week.
The Serie A side announced that a deal had been struck with Bordeaux to sign the 21-year-old on Monday afternoon, only for Barcelona to swoop in with a higher offer when their attempts to sign Chelsea’s Willian hit a brick wall.
The flight that was due to take Malcom to Rome for a medical was promptly cancelled, and the former under-20 international was confirmed as a Barca player less than 24 hours later, for a fee believed to be around €41m.
Speaking to the Roma website on Tuesday in an effort to explain what had transpired, sporting director Monchi said that the club were considering the pursuit of a legal case – despite the lack of any signatures rubber-stamping the deal between the Giallorossi and Bordeaux.
“What happened is easy to explain – but hard to understand.”
— AS Roma English (@ASRomaEN) July 24, 2018
“We are looking at our options and seeing if we have a legal case.
“It is true that nothing was signed, but there are many messages with the agents and their president that are at least worth being assessed.
“I informed the Bordeaux president and his agents that Roma were ready to beat Barcelona’s offer. Their president told me that we needed to send it in officially. At 11pm we submitted a formal document with the offer president Pallotta was willing to make.
“If someone wants to come to Roma that is great, but ultimately if they do not want to come to Rome then we do not want them.”
Roma were able to confirm one signing on Tuesday, at least. FC Copenhagen goalkeeper Robin Olsen, one of the stars of Sweden’s recent World Cup campaign, has arrived at the club in a €12m deal as the replacement for Alisson Becker, who moved to Liverpool last week in a deal that could be worth €72.5m.