Close sidebar

Liverpool Could Move For Real Madrid Defender To Replace Moreno [Report]

LISBON, PORTUGAL - MAY 24: Fabio Coentrao of Real Madrid in action during the UEFA Champions League Final between Real Madrid and Atletico de Madrid at Estadio da Luz on May 24, 2014 in Lisbon, Portugal. (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

Share and Enjoy !

Sunday afternoon’s thrilling 4-3 victory against Arsenal was full of positives for Liverpool, but the calamitous performance of left-back Alberto Moreno did not go unnoticed.

In one shocking two-minute spell, the 24-year-old gave away a penalty, and when that was saved by Simon Mignolet, he wasted his reprieve by losing Theo Walcott for Arsenal’s opening goal.

Liverpool's Spanish defender Alberto Moreno (L) slides in to tackle Arsenal's Welsh midfielder Aaron Ramsey (R) during the English Premier League football match between Arsenal and Liverpool at the Emirates Stadium in London on August 14, 2016. / AFP / Lee MILLS / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo credit should read LEE MILLS/AFP/Getty Images)

To that end, speculation has intensified over the past 24 hours that manager Jurgen Klopp would look to bring in a new left-sided defender before the end of the transfer window – and Spanish publication Sport have claimed that Klopp now has his eye on Real Madrid’s Fabio Coentrão to address the long-standing problem.

Liverpool had a bid rejected for Leicester’s Ben Chilwell earlier in the summer. The 19-year-old has since signed a new contract, and so too has other another reported target, German international Jonas Hector.

Moreno is currently the only recognised left-back on the books at Anfield – José Enrique and Brad Smith have left the club permanently, while Jon Flanagan has gone on loan to Burnley.

However, Klopp is fast running out of options if he wants to add to his squad, and with Coentrão very much out of favour at the Bernabéu, a loan deal might be a good move to suit all parties.

The Portuguese international was sent on loan to Monaco last season, scoring 3 goals in 15 Ligue 1 appearances in what was an injury-hit season at the Stade Louis II.

MONACO - OCTOBER 01: Fabio Coentrao of Monaco and Nacer Chadli of Tottenham Hotspur compete for the ball during the UEFA Europa League group J match between AS Monaco FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC at Stade Louis II on October 1, 2015 in Monaco, Monaco. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

In all, he had made just 100 appearances since signing for Real Madrid in a €30m deal from Benfica in 2011. He has generally been used as backup for Marcelo, finding it almost impossible to dislodge the Brazilian defender.

He very nearly joined David Moyes’ Manchester United on loan in 2013, only for the deal to fall through due to the deadline passing before the paperwork could be completed.

Though Coentrão may be kept around by Zinedine Zidane as cover for Marcelo, the more likely outcome is that he will be allowed to leave the club once again.

Whether or not that means the 28-year-old ends up at Liverpool is another matter entirely, but he would certainly represent a cheap and pain-free transfer deal with time very much now a factor.

That said, the link is not very strong (for now). Coentrão is currently injured, and won’t be fit again until at least October. Which isn’t ideal, truth be told.

Rumour ranking 4 - DON'T COUNT CHICKENS

Share and Enjoy !

Read More About: , , , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.