Home Football Liverpool Dealt Major Blow In Their Pursuit Of Mario Götze

Liverpool Dealt Major Blow In Their Pursuit Of Mario Götze

Liverpool fans’ hopes of World Cup winner Mario Götze linking up with former boss Jürgen Klopp appear to have been dashed, by the player himself.

The pair enjoyed a successful period together at Borussia Dortmund, with speculation rife that they would link up again at Liverpool.

KAISERSLAUTERN, GERMANY - APRIL 28: Head coach Juergen Klopp (R) and Mario Goetze (L) of Dortmund talks prior to the Bundesliga match between 1.FC Kaiserslautern and Borussia Dortmund at Fritz-Walter-Stadion on April 28, 2012 in Kaiserslautern, Germany. Borussia Dortmund is the new champion and Kaiserslautern is relegated to second league.  (Photo by Thorsten Wagner/Bongarts/Getty Images)

Speaking to Bild (as reported in World Soccer) Götze said:

“I look forward to the new season in Munich and will do everything possible to be in top shape for my first training session under (new coach) Carlo Ancelotti.”

While Götze has committed his future to the German Champions, it remains to be seen if he will be offered a new deal with the club with just 12 months left on his contract.

Götze has also parted company with his long-term agents SportsTotal. A statement was issued regarding their split;

“SportsTotal and Mario Götze end their six-year collaboration by mutual agreement,” “This is the result of a conversation SportsTotal CEO Volker Struth and the player himself who met after Bayern Munich’s game last weekend.

“After extensive deliberations and discussions in the past few weeks, we have come together to decide that we will terminate the cooperation. Therefore we met for a joint discussion and parted by mutual consent. I thank him for his many years of trust and wish him well for the future.”

Götze added:

“I thank SportsTotal for a very good cooperation with many highlights and great memories that have shaped my career decisively.”

BREMEN, GERMANY - MARCH 14:  Head coach Pep Guardiola (R) of Munich talks to Mario Goetze (L) during the First Bundesliga match between SV Werder Bremen and FC Bayern Muenchen at Weserstadion on March 14, 2015 in Bremen, Germany.  (Photo by Oliver Hardt/Getty Images)

Götze was only used 12 times last season by outgoing boss Pep Guardiola. Götze will be looking to impress new Munich boss Carlo Ancelotti in this summer’s European Championships as he aims to earn a new contract at the club.

Bayern Munich have already added Renato Sanches and Mats Hummels to their squad as Ancelotti prepares to take over.

Liverpool and Klopp will be disappointed to miss out on what would have been a star signing for the Anfield club but one that looked unlikely after Liverpool failed to beat Sevilla in last week’s Europa League final, meaning they will not play European football next season.

Should Bayern however fail to offer Götze a new contract, the 23 year old German World cup winner will move on with many clubs including Liverpool said to be interested.

About The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.