Next week sees the release of the latest edition of the wildly popular FIFA video game series.
As has been the case for the past number of years (they are celebrating ten years this season, in fact), the SSE Airtricity League takes its place inn FIFA 18 among the many leagues on offer in the game.
With the game just days away from release, EA Sports have already launched their Ultimate Team web app so users can begin to organise their squads for when the game does drop into their hands either next Tuesday or Friday (depending on how much money you want to spend for the extra content). With this comes the first glimpse of the new player ratings for the game.
From that, we have rounded up the ten highest-rated League of Ireland Premier Divison players from this year’s edition (and, interestingly, champions-elect Cork City only have two players on the list):
10. Paul Corry (Shamrock Rovers) Rating: 64 (Bronze)
9. Rhys McCabe (Sligo Rovers) Rating: 64 (Bronze)
8. Shane Supple (Bohemians) Rating: 65 (Silver)
7. Christy Fagan (St. Patrick’s Athletic) Rating: 65 (Silver)
6. Chris Shields (Dundalk) Rating: 65 (Silver)
5. David McMillan (Dundalk) Rating: 65 (Silver)
4. Kieran Sadlier (Cork City) Rating: 65 (Silver)
3. Owen Garvan (St. Patrick’s Athletic) Rating: 66 (Silver)
2. Greg Bolger (Cork City) Rating: 66 (Silver)
1. Patrick McEleney (Dundalk) Rating: 66 (Silver)
Breaking down individual attributes meanwhile, the game considers Dundalk winger Dylan Connolly to be the fastest player in the league with a score of 92 out of 100, Kieran Sadlier to be the best shooter (63/100), McEleney to be the best at dribbling (70, closely followed by Paddy McCourt on 69), Brian Gartland the best at defending (62) and Roberto Lopes to be the most physical (81).
In terms of high-profile players who have recently left the league, their ratings are reasonably similar to the above list despite the move cross channel:
- Sean Maguire (Preston North End) Rating: 65
- Kevin O’Connor (Preston North End) Rating: 60
- Daryl Horgan (Preston North End) Rating: 68
- Andy Boyle (Preston North End) Rating: 67
- Richie Towell (Rotherham United) Rating: 66
- Chris Forrester (Peterborough United) Rating: 66
In this week’s episode of the Mixer Irish football podcast, we chat to Sligo Rovers manager Gerard Lyttle, analyse Dundalk’s EA Sports Cup victory and review/preview the latest League of Ireland action.
Read More About: brian gartland, chris shields, christy fagan, cork city, david mcmillan, Dundalk, fifa 18, kieran sadlier, patrick mceleney, rhys mccabe, roberto lopes, Shamrock Rovers, Shane Supple, Sligo Rovers, st patricks athletic