It’s the chatter that, seemingly, won’t go away.
From being on the verge of signing a new super-sized deal at Real Madrid just after Euro 2016 earlier in the summer, reports in Spain on Saturday have once again linked Wales international Gareth Bale with a return to the Premier League, specifically a move to Manchester United.
Under the headline of trouble in the dressing room, Diario Gol is reporting that the forward is currently unhappy with how he is being treated by the club.
The publication claims he is upset that Real club president Florentino Perez has failed to follow through on promises made last season with regard to a new contract and a significant pay rise, while manager Zinedine Zidane has yet to put him on the same pedestal and give him a similarly prominent role to Cristiano Ronaldo on the pitch.
Bale was substituted during Real’s 1-1 draw against Villarreal and showed clear surprise and frustration at the decision. He is said to be “tired of living in the shadow” of his illustrious team-mate and was “enraged” at these latest events. The report also claims that Bale’s agent, Jonathan Barnett, has been “flirting” with United for months, which is significant given that Red Devils boss José Mourinho is a keen admirer of the former Spurs man and is said to want to make him his next signing.
Of course, Bale wouldn’t be the first footballer in history to be annoyed by being substituted or not getting the exact terms he desires for a new work contract and the ‘reports’ could very well be an attempt to heap pressure on Perez to finally sort out his new mooted long-term deal following standout performance for his country during the European Championships.
However, there’s also no doubt that the rumours have been consistent on this one – Bale to United remains on the football transfer radar as a possibility, be it January – or more likely – next summer’s ‘Paul Pogba’ transfer saga!