Home Football France’s Didier Deschamps Demands More From ‘Disappointing’ Antoine Griezmann

France’s Didier Deschamps Demands More From ‘Disappointing’ Antoine Griezmann

France coach Didier Deschamps said on Sunday his key forward Antoine Griezmann “must do more”, after a disappointing performance in their opening 2-1 World Cup win against Australia.

The Atletico Madrid star was well marshalled by the Socceroos’ defence for long periods on Saturday.

He won and scored the penalty that gave France the lead — the first goal ever awarded at a World Cup with the help of video technology — but he appeared upset to be replaced by Olivier Giroud with about 20 minutes to go.

Speaking to French TV channel TF1, Deschamps confirmed that Griezmann would remain at the forefront of France’s attack going forward, but called on the forward to improve on Saturday’s showing.

“Antoine is Antoine, he’s our attacking leader and will remain so. Maybe he was a little less good,”

“That someone is disappointed when he goes off… it was a one-off decision for this match.”

France's coach Didier Deschamps (L) takes France's forward Antoine Griezmann's hand during the Russia 2018 World Cup Group C football match between France and Australia at the Kazan Arena in Kazan on June 16, 2018. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - NO MOBILE PUSH ALERTS/DOWNLOADS        (Photo credit should read FRANCK FIFE/AFP/Getty Images)

The 27-year-old Griezmann has scored 21 international goals, including five during France’s run to the Euro 2016 final.

“It’s true that he was a little angry, that’s normal. He’s a very ambitious player but in the locker room, the (team) bus and the base camp, he was happy,” said France left-back Lucas Hernandez, who also plays for Atletico.

TOPSHOT - France's forward Antoine Griezmann (L) jokes with France's midfielder Blaise Matuidi at the end of the Russia 2018 World Cup Group C football match between France and Australia at the Kazan Arena in Kazan on June 16, 2018. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - NO MOBILE PUSH ALERTS/DOWNLOADS / The erroneous mention[s] appearing in the metadata of this photo by FRANCK FIFE has been modified in AFP systems in the following manner: [at the end of the Russia 2018] instead of [before the Russia 2018 ]. Please immediately remove the erroneous mention[s] from all your online services and delete it (them) from your servers. If you have been authorized by AFP to distribute it (them) to third parties, please ensure that the same actions are carried out by them. Failure to promptly comply with these instructions will entail liability on your part for any continued or post notification usage. Therefore we thank you very much for all your attention and prompt action. We are sorry for the inconvenience this notification may cause and remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.        (Photo credit should read FRANCK FIFE/AFP/Getty Images)

Griezmann had been widely linked with a move to Barcelona in the current transfer window but said in a video released on Thursday he would be staying at the Wanda Metropolitano.

“His choice to stay at Atletico, he made it a month ago. The video was released not long ago but in his head he was good, motivated 100 percent.”

cd-adc/ig/jc/jw

About The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.