Close sidebar

Shamrock Rovers See Off Bohemians At Dalymount To Book FAI Cup Final Place

Shamrock Rovers have beaten Bohemians to book their place in the FAI Cup final.

Stephen Bradley’s team overcame their Dublin rivals at Dalymount Park, winning a frenetic game 2-0. Rovers advance to the final at the Aviva Stadium on November 3, where they will play either Sligo Rovers or Dundalk. It will be the Hoops’ first appearance at the showpiece game since 2010, when they lost to Sligo on penalties.

Rovers took the lead early in the first half with a move that looked to have come straight off the training ground. Jack Byrne lofted his corner-kick towards Graham Burke.

The forward, who re-joined Rovers from Preston North End during the summer, directed a header towards the near-post, catching out James Talbot and the rest of the Bohs defence with a clever attempt.

Replays showed that the ball deflected off Rovers forward Aaron Greene last before it went out of play, and the assistant referee should not have awarded a corner-kick.

Bohs have a right to feel sore after the resulting corner lead to a goal. But, despite feeling aggrieved, they will know they should have made a better job of defending the set-piece.

Burke’s goal was by far the standout moment of a fast and hectic first half that never really settled down in a pattern of play.

Neither side took control of proceedings, and both teams had calls for penalties dismissed. Bohs had more possession, but struggled to play their way through the Hoops.

The Dublin derby was infused by a rocking atmosphere at Dalymount Park. Both sets of supporters at the home of Irish football set off flares ahead of kick-off, some of which made their way onto the pitch in the early stages of the semi-final. An announcement over the PA system stated that, if any more flares ended up on the pitch, the match would be suspended and the players would be brought off.

Common sense prevailed and the action calmed down off the field if not on it. For much of the second half, it was more of the same. Space on the pitch was at a premium and chances hard to come by. Rovers then began to turn the screw with 20 minutes to go.

Byrne’s dead-ball deliveries were dangerous, and Greene kept the Bohs defence occupied. Paddy Kirk made an impressive last-ditch clearance on the goalline to prevent Burke getting his second of the night, before Danny Mandroiu saw red for a late challenge on Sean Kavanagh. The Bohs and Ireland under-21 midfielder – who scored a stunning in the Dublin derby game at the start of the summer – could have no complaints with the referee’s decision.

A few minutes later, Greene confirmed the Hoops place in the final.

The forward scored by stabbing the ball home at the back post after an excellent delivery from the right by Ronan Finn, the Rovers captain.

With 10-minutes left to play, the away side kept the ball and kept Bohs at bay, seeing out the game.

Rovers will look to end a 32-wait to lift the FAI Cup on November 3 against either Sligo or Dundalk, who play at the Showgrounds on Sunday evening in the other FAI Cup semi-final.

Sign Up For The LOI Arena Newsletter

Read More About: , , ,