Close sidebar

Spurs Topple City In Instant Classic As Liverpool Ease Past Porto

Tottenham trumped Manchester City in a scintillating second leg at the Etihad Stadium to advance to the semi-finals of the Champions League with a 4-3 victory.

It was a frantic start in Manchester which saw four goals in the opening ten minutes as City looked to bounce back from last week’s 1-0 deficit.

City took the lead in the opening four minutes through Raheem Sterling. The England international picked the ball up from the left, cut inside and unleashed a delightful strike past Hugo Lloris to give the away side the perfect start.

It would only take two minutes though for Spurs to equalise as their talismanic forward Son continued his tremendous season by equalising on the night, grabbing a crucial away goal and giving City a mountain to climb to reach the last four.

He got his second just two minutes later as Christian Eriksen picked the South Korean out on the edge of the 18-yard box and he curled the ball past Ederson with ease.

The fourth goal of the game came a minute later and still inside the first ten minutes as Bernardo Silva’s deflected effort found the net after some excellent work from Sergio Aguero.

Then came the 10-minute lull in proceedings, before Sterling would strike once again for City as he converted Kevin De Bruyne’s beautiful low cross at the back post to give Guardiola’s side a 3-2 lead on the night.

City took the lead in the tie 15 minutes into the second half after some tremendous work from De Bruyne as he found Aguero to put the home side 4-2 up on the night.

There was more drama to come however as Spurs reached down deep to take the lead on aggregate once again thanks to Spaniard Fernando Llorente.

The ball appeared to hit the arm of Llorente however upon a VAR ruling the goal was given as it had, in fact, struck the striker’s hip before finding the net.

City looked to have grabbed a late late winner through Raheem Sterling but VAR once again had a massive hand in proceedings as it was disallowed for offside.

Spurs held on to set up a semi-final clash with Ajax.

Elsewhere it was a comfortable night for Liverpool as they eased their way into the last four as a mouthwatering clash with Manchester United’s conquerors Barcelona.

Sadio Mané’s first-half goal gave Liverpool a 1-0 lead on the night and a 3-0 lead on aggregate as his close-range effort was given by VAR having initially been chalked off for offside.

Klopp’s side and doubled their lead through Mo Salah in the 66th minute as he put the tie beyond doubt.

Porto did get a goal back through Ed Militao but it was too little too late as Liverpool grabbed their third through Roberto Firmino and their fourth through Virgil Van Dijk to advance to the semi-finals.

Read More About: , , , ,

Author: Oisin McQueirns

Oisin McQueirns is a digital journalist at Pundit Arena. Massive fan of Leeds United, Ric Flair and Trusting The Process. Contact him here