Arsenal’s winning run came to an end on Sunday following a 2-2 draw against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.
The Gunners started the game slowly and fell behind just before the break after Luka Milivojevic’s coolly dispatched penalty following Shkodran Mustafi’s lunge on Cheikhou Kouyate in the Palace box.
Emery’s side, however, came to life in the second half grabbing a stunner equaliser through a Granit Xhaka thunderbolt of a free-kick before Pierre Emerick Aubameyang popped up at the back post just moments later to prod the ball inches over the line and give Arsenal the lead.
The home side Palace showed excellent character though as they grabbed a late equaliser through another confident Milivojevic penalty to snap Arsenal’s winning streak.
Let’s take a look at 13 quickfire conclusions from Arsenal’s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.
1) Arsenal seriously need to start improving their first-half performances. They haven’t been in the lead at half-time in any of their Premier League wins during their winning run and were duly punished by Palace in the opening 45 minutes.
2) An obvious one, but Wilfried Zaha is far too good for this Crystal Palace team. The way he won Palace’s late penalty was outstanding despite many feeling he bought the foul.
3) Arsenal’s defensive issues were exposed against Crystal Palace. Emery has done fantastic work with this team but the defence seriously needs an overhaul if they are to have a promising season.
4) Palace desperately need a number nine (Or a fit, firing and inform Christian Benteke)
5) The midfield duo of Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi is exciting and could certainly be the future of the Arsenal team but they looked naive at times especially in the first half against Palace up against an experienced midfield trio.
6) That being said, Torriera did have an excellent second half and grew into the game as he put his stamp on the midfield battle.
7) Mesut Ozil had an off day for the Gunners and didn’t look half as good as the player who ripped Leicester City to shreds last week.
8) Granit Xhaka sure can hit a ball.
9) Pierre Emerick Aubameyang is the type of striker that only needs half a chance to score, regardless of how quiet a game he’s having.
10) Luka Milivojevic deserves a lot of credit for stepping up and slotting home two excellent penalties despite missing one against Everton last week.
11) Unai Emery will be very disappointed with Arsenal’s game management. After going 1-2 up they invited pressure from Palace who soon grabbed an equaliser.
12) With a tough run of games coming up for Crystal Palace this could prove to be a really important point for Roy Hodgson’s side.
13) After this draw snapped Arsenal’s winning streak it will be interesting to see how Arsenal perform up against on the league’s heavy hitters when they face Liverpool next weekend.