Premier League players are set to boycott social media for 24 hours on Friday in protest over recent high-profile incidents of racism in the game.
The Professional Footballer’s Association are organising the boycott under the hashtag #Enough and aims to bring players together to demand more action from social media networks and authorities.
They are encouraging players to post an #Enough graphic on their social media accounts, before beginning the boycott at 9 am on Friday morning.
“Over the last few months, both domestically and internationally, there have been a number of high-profile racist incidents directed at players. The boycott acts as a show of unity by the players, and a call for stronger action to be taken by social networks and footballing authorities in response to racist abuse both on and off the pitch.
“Players recognise that these racist incidents are a reflection of societal issues. They know first-hand how damaging racism can be and are using their platforms to inspire change that will benefit players, football and society as a whole. The boycott is the first step in a longer campaign to tackle racism in football.”
The game has seen a number of high-profile incidents of racism on social media with Manchester United defender Chris Smalling suffering abuse following his side’s defeat to Barcelona.
Smalling said: “Throughout my career I have developed a thick skin against verbal abuse, justifying it as just ‘part of the game’, but the time has come for Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to consider regulating their channels.”
Tottenham and England defender Danny Rose, who was a victim of racism whilst on international duty last month said: “I don’t want any future players to go through what I’ve been through in my career.
“Collectively, we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse.”