Home Football Horrendous Refereeing Decision Leads To Irish U17 Heartbreak

Horrendous Refereeing Decision Leads To Irish U17 Heartbreak

Colin O’Brien’s side almost set up a clash with England, but fell short to the Netherlands in the quarter-final of the European Championship in devastating circumstances.

Despite six straight wins in qualifying, the Ireland U17s lost their opening group game at the 2018 championships against Belgium. Subsequent wins against Denmark and Bosnia & Herzegovina saw the boys in green qualify second from Group C.

Facing them on Monday night at the Proact Stadium in Chesterfield were Group D toppers, the Netherlands.

The Oranje had an imperious 7-0 goal difference in their group games, and had the better of the run of play in the first half without really threatening the Irish ‘keeper for most of it.

While the Dutch did start applying pressure, Ireland also improved heading into the second half.

It was the Netherlands that broke the deadlock though, with Liam van Gelderen heading home in the 62nd minute.

With just 18 minutes left and after a huge effort on their part, Ireland were looking down the barrel of a quarter final exit.

Just two minutes later, Troy Parrot relieved the scoring pressure placed on star striker Adam Idah, with a well-placed effort from just inside the box after a nice passage of play for his third of the tournament.

Neither team could break away after the 80 minutes were up, so a penalty shootout was needed to determine who would progress.

Adam Idah had his penalty saved by Joey Koorevar, with Wouter Burger scoring for the Dutch. Troy Parrot found the bottom left corner just beyond the ‘keeper’s reach.

Ihatteren blasted it into the top corner to put the Dutch back ahead, though Max Murphy put it at 2-2 with the Netherlands having a penalty in hand.

Toshio Lake’s successful kick was just about matched by Jason Knight to keep the tie alive. Centre back Jurrien Maduro scored Holland’s fourth, leaving Callum Thompson needing to fire home Ireland’s fifth penalty.

He did so, and while Chelsea’s Daishawn Redan had Holland’s fifth brilliantly saved by Jimmy Corcoran, the Irish goalie got his second yellow and was sent off by the referee for coming off the line early, though it looked to be a shocking descision, with Corcoran having at least one foot on the line.

Outfield player Oisin McEntee went in goal as Redan went to take his second penalty. Redan duly slotted it into the top corner to cap off a controversial contest.

Senior Ireland manager Martin O’Neill stormed onto the pitch in the immediate aftermath to question the referee, while RTE Soccer questioned whether the Dutch goalie was guilty of the same infringement.

The Netherlands are next in action on Thursday at 7p.m against hosts England.

About Chris Kelleher

Student whose interests lie in sports ranging from Darts to MMA, with the likes of Golf, Boxing and Soccer in between. Closet wrestling fan and a lover of sports psychology and stiff jabs.