So, this is actually happening…
After months and months of speculation and deliberation, the crossover super fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather has been announced. The deal is signed, sealed and delivered. Finally.
The bout will be a boxing match under the specific boxing rule set in the T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, on August 26th, at 154 lbs, wearing 10 oz gloves, it has been confirmed.
McGregor signed his side of the deal last month, having come to terms with the UFC, with whom he is under contract, over the unprecedented event, which many felt was only a pipe dream, a sideshow, an unrealistic circus event, to take place and become a reality.
The MMA superstar released this statement, ensuring followers of this saga that it was Mayweather we were waiting on:
“It is an honour to sign this record breaking deal alongside my partners Zuffa LLC, The Ultimate Fighting Championship and Paradigm Sports Management.
“The first, and most important part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on. Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer’s signature in the coming days.”
It took more than just a few days for Team Mayweather to put ink to paper, however.
Negotiations were lengthy and drawn out, as is to be expected when such a monumental event is the matter, all the way up until last night, when the fight was confirmed. Floyd and his team reached an agreement with Dana White and co. and both fighters announced that the fight is on via their social media accounts.
As social media went into frenzy following the big announcement last night, White took questions from the media alongside the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, and chief negotiator alongside Al Heymon for The Money Team, Leonard Ellerbe, on all things concerned with the fight. These two men were key in finalising this deal and seeing it over the line. Therefore, they are in a better position than any to give an insight into what it took to piece this superfight together and the details of the August 26th bout that everybody wants to know.
Of course, the one question which generates the most intrigue for combat sports fans is, does The Notoroious UFC lightweight champion have any chance in a boxing ring against the undefeated, 49-0, ex-pound for pound king of the sport, arguably one the greatest boxers of all time?
The UFC president pointed towards “Money” Mayweather’s age and how long it has been since he has fought competitively. Floyd is now 40-years-old and has not boxed since his decision victory over Andre Breto in September 2015.
Ellerbe eluded to the Irishman’s lethal “hand game” and insists that he is a fan of Conor’s fighting style. He says that Floyd will certainly not be taking the task of overcoming the Dubliner for granted.
Unsurprisingly, McGregor has been typically vocal in his self belief ahead of the bout.
White says McGregor told him today, "The McGregor clan has been taking over villages for 300 years and the Mayweather village is next."
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) June 15, 2017
Watch Dana and Ellerbe’ media scrum below, where they discuss Conor’s chances of shocking the world, and exactly what to expect from the flight, below:
Read More About: conor mcgregor, Conor McGregor Announcement, conor mcgregor floy mayweather update, Conor McGregor Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor news, conor mcgregor v floyd mayweather, Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather News, dana white, dana white latest, Floyd Mayweather news, ufc news