Close sidebar

Canelo Alvarez And Gennady Golovkin Have Verbally Agreed To Fight In The Fall Of 2017

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin have verbally agreed to fight, but the marauding middleweight pair’s highly-anticipated bout won’t take place until the fall of next year.

Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times was the first to report the story, stating that Alvarez’s desire to slowly acclimatize to the middleweight division was the reason for the delay.

The Mexican’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, has since confirmed that the parties have come to an agreement.

As has Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler, who told ESPN that he was pushing for the fight to happen sooner, but that Golden Boy had resisted.

“I met with [Golden Boy’s vice president Eric Gomez] on Monday, and we had a good, good conversation, and the plan was they want to shoot for fall of 2017,” said Loeffler. “It’s not going to happen in September of this year, so we’ll use the time to build the fight. We wanted the fight in [this past] May”.

“It’s Gennady’s priority to make the Canelo fight as soon as possible, but Golden Boy felt next year would make the most sense on the promotional side and with the weight as well.”

“We can’t force people to get in the ring with Gennady. Canelo wants to work to get up to 160, and we’ll try to make the best out of the situation”.

One of the major sticking points in previous negotiations for this fight was the issue of the weight. Alvarez, a longtime super-welterweight, won the lineal world middleweight title from Miguel Cotto at a 155lb catchweight and his only defence, against blown-up welterweight Amir Khan, came at the same limit.

Golden Boy wanted to continue this trend of catchweight title defences, but Golovkin’s team demanded that the bout take place at the full middleweight limit of 160lbs. With the Kazakh as mandatory challenger for Alvarez’s WBC belt, it seemed that his team would be able to force the issue.

However, shortly after he knocked out the aforementioned Khan, Canelo vacated the title. The 25-year-old, who had been ordered by the WBC to sign on for the fight within a set period of time, released a statement claiming that he did so to avoid being cajoled into meeting “artificial deadlines”. 

In the end, Alvarez has agreed to fight Golovkin at 160lbs anyway, but in his own time.

Read More About: , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team.