Close sidebar

BREAKING: Crolla Handed Rematch For Lightweight Title

The WBA has granted Mancunian Anthony Crolla an immediate rematch against Darleys Perez following their contentious draw earlier in July.

Crolla, who suffered life threatening injuries after confronting burglars back in November, was fighting for the first time since being attacked with a brick to win the WBA world lightweight title but was robbed of victory against the Colombian.

Out-punching and out-moving Perez throughout, Crolla’s opponent was also deducted two points for illegal low blows, a common tactic used by Alejandro Gonzalez Jr. against Carl Frampton in another fight on that night.

After going twelve rounds, Crolla’s team had lifted him on their shoulders, but incredibly, the judges ruled the fight as a draw.

Promoter Eddie Hearn appealed the decision, and was delighted for Crolla that the fight will now take place again.

“I spoke to the WBA president Gilberto Mendoza and he watched the fight and felt that Crolla won the fight convincingly as well, Hearn told Sky Sports.

“We put an official request and complaint in to the WBA. The British Boxing Board of Control also backed us and wrote to the WBA and said how we feel that the decision is wrong. They went through the official process and came back in the early hours of this morning, stating that Darleys Perez must rematch Anthony Crolla.”

He [Crolla] is over the moon. Over the last 48-24 hours, I felt that we might get the nod and I just texted him.

“He’s getting on a plane and is absolutely delighted. It doesn’t take away the fact that he should still be world champion right now, but obviously now he’s got something that he can focus his mind on.

Talks have apparently begun to potentially have the fight again at the Manchester Arena, on November 21.

Callum Connolly, Pundit Arena

Read More About: , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.