Close sidebar

Billy Joe Saunders To Move On With Career After ‘GGG’ Fails To Meet Deadline For Unification Fight

WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders has insisted he will now move on with his career, after Gennady Golovkin failed to meet a deadline to agree to a huge unification fight.

After pound-for-pound number one Golovkin beat Daniel Jacobs last month, he said he 100% wanted to fight Saunders next. However, the unbeaten Kazakh star stalled on signing the contracts which led to Saunders growing impatient.

On March 27, Saunders showed his frustration by tweeting a video giving Golovkin until March 31 to sign the contracts for the fight.

In the video, the 27-year-old said (via Boxing News Online):

“I’ve still not heard back from Golovkin. I’ve been on to my manager and my promoter Frank Warren to start looking elsewhere.

“I’m willing to go to Kazakhstan and have the fight.

“It seems to me that when I’m fat and out of shape, everyone wants to have a piece of me.

“When I’m in shape, with time on my hands to get fit and look good people need a rest. I don’t know if it is old age catching up.

“My pen is in my hand ready to sign but I want it to be done for Friday because I want to move on. I can’t be bothered to sit around and wait another six months – I’ve got to get on with my career.

“So Golovkin, if you have got a pair of balls then lets sign the contract and fight.”

Golovkin does battle with Daniel Jacobs in his most recent fight.

Saunders, who hasn’t fought since outpointing Artur Akavov in December, then posted to say if Golovkin is going to duck him he would like to take on four-weight world champion Miguel Cotto.

Yesterday, on the day of his deadline, the WBO champ posted another video telling Golovkin this was his last chance to agree to a fight.

In that one, he said:

“If you want to fight Billy Joe Saunders today, this is the last chance you’re gonna get.

“I have messages from your manager Tom Loeffler, saying that the contracts was gonna be sent two weeks ago and still ain’t been sent.

“So, if you wanna get it on, let’s get it on. Unification, winner takes all. I’m willing to go to your country (to) have a fight. So, listen, do not lose your pen.”

A couple of hours later, Saunders posted another tweet which said, “Moving on with me career. I didn’t see no contract still.”

That tweet also included a screenshot of the message he had earlier referred to, which was dated March 13 and said the Golovkin team would send the agreements that week.

Saunders is unbeaten after twenty-four fights but has only fought once since beating Andy Lee to become WBO champ in December 2015. Golovkin would have undoubtedly been his toughest opponent to date. The WBC, WBO, IBF and IBO champ holds an impressive record of 37 victories from 37 fights, with 33 by way of knockout.

It would seem that Golovkin’s failure to meet Saunders’ deadline will mean a unification fight between the two will remain a pipe dream for the foreseeable future.

Peter Reynolds, Pundit Arena

Read More About: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Author: The PA Team

This article was written by a member of The PA Team. If you would like to join the team, drop us an email at write@punditarena.com.