Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder look as though they’re going to run it back again.
The pair met in one of the most highly anticipated heavyweight title bouts in recent years, delivering a fight for the ages which resulted in a somewhat controversial split decision draw.
Many spectators and commentators alike felt that Fury, despite being knocked down twice and almost knocked out once, was the clear winner of the bout as he looked to regain the heavyweight title in just his third fight back following two and a half years away from the ring.
Fans had been clamouring for an obvious rematch with another battle of Fury’s clever defensive style and Wilder’s raw power a tantalising affair for supporters of both.
Fury who clearly felt he won the fight said he had “never seen a worse decision in my life” and described it as a “gift” for his opponent, while Wilder responded on Instagram by saying;
“You saw the best Fury but you did not get the best Wilder and I still managed to get the job done.”
On Friday night the World Boxing Council said in a statement that they were in “unanimous agreement” over the sanctioning of a rematch between Wilder and Fury.
‘The World Boxing Council conducted a voting through the Board of Governors, which resulted in a unanimous agreement to sanction a direct rematch between WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury.
“Wilder and Fury gave boxing one of the best fights in the heavyweight division in a long time, which has created tremendous popular demand for the fans to see a rematch.
“The WBC is happy to confirm that a direct rematch has been approved and will create in a ruling which will also consider the mandatory status of the division.
“I wish to once again congratulate Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury for their great battle inside the ring and for the exemplary sportsmanship after the bout.”