Irish middleweight Jason Quigley suffered the first defeat of his professional career on Thursday night after his corner called a stop to his fight with Tureano Johnson following a gruelling nine rounds.
Quigley was the favourite heading into his bout with the Bahamian Johnson as he looked to defend his NABF middleweight title in California but he simply could not get the better of his experienced opponent.
The 28-year-old began the contest well impressing in the opening two rounds but Johnson swung the bout in the third after damaging Quigley with some sharp uppercuts.
From there, Quigley found himself on the back foot for a number of rounds getting hit with some heavy shots in round six and seemingly beginning to tire as the pressure was put on.
The Donegal native showed great heart in the seventh but Johnson’s shots continued to land and after struggling in both the eighth and the ninth rounds, Quigley’s corner deemed that their fighter had been through enough and called a stop to the contest on medical advice.
— Golden Boy (@GoldenBoyBoxing) July 19, 2019
Quigley won the NABF middleweight title in March of 2017 and had only been three fights away from a shot at a world title before this bout.
After the fight, in quotes reported by RTE, things seemed to get a little bit tetchy between the pair however there appeared to be respect between the two fighters when all was said and done.
“Quigley had a victory party and somebody sent me a clipping saying that he gonna have a vic party and he don’t even invite me. That p***ed me off, man,” said Johnson.
Quigley responded: “I have respect for you, so you have respect for me. You’re tough and you deserved the victory. I congratulate you and I wish you all the best.”