Conor McGregor’s sparring partner Dylan Moran believes the UFC star has what it takes to make a successful return to the boxing ring.
McGregor fought the unbeaten Floyd Mayweather in his first-ever professional boxing bout in August 2017, losing to the veteran American boxer by technical knock-out in the 10th round.
The Dubliner hasn’t given any solid indications over whether he will return to boxing since then, but sparring partner Moran told Sky Sports that he believes McGregor is well capable of succeeding in the sport.
He’s the Michael Jordan of his generation🗨️
— BBC SPORT NI (@BBCSPORTNI) January 20, 2021
“There are plenty of years left in Conor. Wherever the big fights are at. You can see by the rematch with Dustin [Poirier] that he doesn’t shy away from challenges,” Moran said.
“If the right challenge is put to him, he will take it on board. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Conor back in the boxing ring, for sure.
“I’ve been in there with him at Irish level, European level and world level. Conor has given it to me as much as anyone. That speaks for itself.
“When you are a person of Conor’s notes, you will have naysayers and doubters of the highest degree. Even if his boxing was the best, people would say it’s useless.
“I’ve sparred him. I’ve been in there with him, and I’m a boxer. So my opinion is one to listen to.”
Potential bout with Manny Pacquiao.
There were rumours that a fight between McGregor and Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao could take place after the Irishman’s rematch with Poirier.
However, those rumours died down after McGregor lost to Poirier back in January, and the two will now fight for a third time in the UFC in July.
Good luck tonight Conor! Let’s make 2021 the best year ever for fight fans. #UFC257
— Manny Pacquiao (@MannyPacquiao) January 24, 2021
YouTuber turned professional boxer Jake Paul has also challenged McGregor to a boxing fight in recent times, but the Irishman has so far ignored the 23-year-old’s call outs.